Monday 6 April 2009

I came this close || to breaking the years pledge!

Its been a funny couple of weeks. My wife got made redundant (voluntary) which made us both happy on the whole. A new start. We started talking about if we should celebrate with a bottle of champagne. I cant remember which one of us started to weaken first but whoever it was the other one stood firm and said it probably wasnt the right time....and then then later we switched roles and started debating the opposite to our original point. This has been happening all week and then today we were at a restaurant with a friend and we basically decided we were going to drink this week. My wife is going to a friends house for a kind of leaving party and I said if your drinking there then we have to have a drink together first, since we started this together we should finish it that way (also it might be a good idea to see what light weights we have become first!).
Later on today I asked if we were really going to do it and my wife said we should ask people on the blog, our Facebook friends and twitter. I posted a 'tweet' and a status update and then after about 10 mins my wife said 'I dont think we should do it' - meaning give in. I was glad she said this really as it would all have been a bit rushed and anit-climactic.
Im not sure if we'll make the year but I think were going to give it a good shot. Its been harder since the pressure of life has been lifted. Weve been tea-total for 9 months now and about 8 of those have been the most stressful of our lives (which I am thankful for...that 'work'was the most stressful thing we've been through...but that doesnt make it any less real while its happening). Now the pressures off its like giving yourself an excuse to break the pledge. Its kind of like 'whats the point?', theres nothing to prove. HOWEVER...something keeps us going, and if nothing else it makes life interesting!!

Oh and as a side note I saw pictures of my niece drinking pints of beer in the same pub I used to drink in when I was 18...I feel so old!!

No comments: