Wednesday 24 December 2008

It twas the night before Christmas...

It twas the night before Christmas and all through the house, nobody was drunk not even me!
Got up at 5am today to do the Christmas shop. Spent an absolute fortune on food and drink. I bought myself a bottle of non-alcoholic red. Ive drank 2 bottles of that now. Its not something I could get used to long term but it is nice during the holidays.
My wife and I have spent the day cooking turkey (I cleaned up, my wife cooked), and preparing food ready for tomorrows family dinner. There will be seven of us for dinner itself with lots more calling in. Ive got a spare 30 minutes in the house by myself tonight while my wife is at a 'christingle' service at the church with my mum in law so I thought I'd update the blog. Every Christmas eve we have a tradition of watching a Christmas movie in the bath while drinking pink champagne. Obviously thats out of the question this year but we didnt want to break tradition so we bought non-alcoholic sparkling while and while my wife was out I added red food colouring (clever eh!?!), ran the bath and loaded its a wonderful life on the laptop...the tradition lives on!!
As ive said previously Christmas has never been big on my drinking agenda but its funny how many people are over reacting to Christmas and my not drinking. Someone at work asked if I'd be giving up giving up over christmas,and Ive lost count of the number of guests who've assumed they shouldn’t/couldn’t drink on Christmas day just because we're not.

[Christmas movie has now been cancelled....I was just interrupted by my wife coming back and we went to deliver a turkey sandwich to my father in law and his wife, who are coming tomorrow for dinner but wanted an early sample. We've got too much to do now so it been decided...bath, fake wine, tv specials on tv while peeling veg and decorating cake number 3]

I wish everyone a safe and merry Christmas and I'll update again before new year!!

No comments: