Wednesday 10 December 2008

My first glass of (non-alcoholic) red wine after 4 months!!

I went out into the cold last night to get a bottle of this wine from Asda. I was pretty excited and I was convinced that when I got there, there wouldn't be any left...however happily I was wrong!. It wasn't with the wine, it was with the beer (perhaps they would sell more if it was!). They had a little section of low (8%) and non (less than 0.5%) alcoholic wines. Theres plenty of white wines out there but this is the first red I've seen that wasn't on the net (and therefore you can buy by the bottle not the case).

When I got home I cracked it open and was really surprised to find it smelt exactly like red wine...my wife will confirm this after she gagged when I asked her to smell it (she hates red wine after one too many (bottles) a few years ago).

Now, before I go on, understand I have a cold (well its really man flu but we'll not go into that) so my smell and taste could be impaired. The taste was like a weak Merlot but I was still more than pleased with it after 4 months of missing my favorite tipple. I think I'll be buying up a case of this for over Christmas!

When I bought this I did think of a friend of mine who said they would give up drinking but they liked the taste of red wine (that must be why they buy bottles for under £5). I'll be giving them a bottle of this for Christmas so they dont have to drink anymore ;-)

So it looks like I'm stocked up for Christmas and I'm quite looking forward to it. Plus people wont keep asking why im not drinking as they'll never know my nice little red is alcohol free...until I jump in the car!

One thing that I did find strange...I got a 'beer flush' from it! Now this was either psychologically induced or its something in the grapes rather than the alcohol that gave my cheeks that rosy glow! oh well, at least red cheeks are festive!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And how did it taste, any difference to a 'normal' wine? I hope to give it a try one day.
Anyway, have you heard about a brand new erp software, microsoft dynamics ax? I just got it for my company and I hope it will work well.