Monday 8 December 2008

A week of saying NO!

Its been a funny week for the old 'I'm not drinking for a year' thing'. It started when my wife pointed out that we cant have our annual tradition of pink champagne on Christmas Eve. She said we should have written it into the rules but we didnt so I guess we'll have to start that again next Christmas!
As you'd expect people are starting to ask us to Christmasy things which involve booze (for them!). We're off to the pub this week for our annual Christmas get together with our friends. It should be good and as we have no plans we might even stay until the end!
We went to a 21st birthday party for one of our neighbours briefly before going elsewhere...there was more booze at that party than in Threshers the week before Christmas!! Still I was impressed at the lack of non drunk looking kids (im 8 years older so I can call them kids!)
My mate from the RAF called last night. Asked if I wanted to do something when he was back...our friendship is built around getting very drunk and staggering about (and has been since we were about 14) so I've said I'll go to the pub but no all day benders as theres not much point for Sober Joe here. He asked the question "WHY?" I said "why not"
New Year is planned out now and were taking passengers on our trip to see as many people as we can! Should be fun.
Theres a show on "current tv" (some wierd channel on sky) about binge drinking this week (its actually lots of little shows spread over 2 hours and not all of them are about alcohol). Anyway I reccomend it...theres lots of different storys of interest
The ramp up to Christmas has begun and I'm not missing booze at all...although the strangest thing happened...my wife said she really fancied a nice brandy (just one glass) and weirdly so did I (I had thought the exact same thing the day before)...we dont even drink brandy!!

No comments: