Sunday 9 August 2009

Its all over!


We'll after a long day on Friday we finally sat down about 7pm to have our first drink in over a year. We had pink champagne (bought by a friend as a 'welcome back'). It was really weird because when you drink regularly you dont wait for the effect to hit you, but we just kept saying 'anything yet?'. By the time we'd finished the champagne my wives cousin and his wife came round to say hello (and also brought us champagne!). I started on the red wine even though I knew I shouldn't mix the two. Had a great night and then about midnight I decided i felt a bit ill so I went to go to the bathroom. My wife said 'dont go to bed' which I had no intention of doing but then the idea was planted in my head. At this point I threw up! After about 5 mins I was ok to make it into bed. I text my wife to say I was ill and then I went to sleep. Woke up the next day with my first hangover in a year. It wasn't as bad as it could have been, and although I couldn't have driven anywhere, I could have struggled through a day if I had lots of plans luckily I didnt so we just watched TV all day, which was nice).

We made arrangements to go for a few drinks and a meal today but I just dont want to drink. This isnt like when people say 'im never drinking again' after one too many, and then next week they start again, its more like although Friday was fun, I think it would have been just a fun without alcohol and now the year is up in some ways its like the choice is back in my hands (although it always was really) and I'm choosing not to drink for now. I've decided to take the car today and the next time I'll be drinking it will just be to toast a wedding...I've decided to take the car as it will save the bride and groom getting a larger mini-bus and like I say I just cant be bothered. I think I'll enjoy a wine with a meal etc but certainly not a bottle! ;-)

Its been an excellent year and its been totally worth it. I think I'll keep the blog going for a little while and update from time to time if I'm drinking just to see what the after effect of this year has been (one thing I learned is your alcohol tolerance doesn't change...I was no more or less drunk than I would have been 2 years ago!)

2 comments:

martin said...

Hi, good to find your blog. My wife and I are about to take up the challenge, so will enjoying looking back through your year. Great to see it CAN be done.

David said...

G'day
I've given up the drink also. My little book is available here:
http://www.amazon.com/Between-Drinks-Routine-Control-Thinkers/dp/1922237957
but will be free for download on Sunday if you are interested. I
enjoyed reading your blog.
Regards
David